Kota Belud May 13, 2012: Some 500 residents in Kg Kiau Teburi, Kg Kiau Nulu and Kg Kiau Bersatu directly affected by the recent landslide there, have appealed for the public to provide them with candles.
Nabalu Natural Disaster Committee member, Sindih Taliban, said they are in desperate need of candles while waiting for their electricity supply - which had been totally cut off by the landslide - to be restored.
He said so far they have received donations in the form of food supplies and kitchen utensils as well as candles from the Persekutuan Muda Mudi of Sidang Injil Borneo (SIB), delivered by Jerry Gungkat and Cecelia Likun, and Upko through its Komulakan Chief Ewon Benedict.
Ewon, who is also Kota Belud Upko Division Deputy Chief, presented RM1,000 to students of SMK Bundu Tuhan who are forced to walk through the jungle and hills after the road leading to their village was badly damaged, making it impassable following the landslide.
The Wednesday landslide at Kampung Kiau Teburi resulted in about 3,000 people in the said three villages, including school children and government staff, losing communication link to Ranau and the State Capital.
Apart from that, Sindih also urge the authorities to build an alternative route for them to Ranau so that they can continue with their daily routines.
The committee can reached at mobile phone no: 012-8342362.