KOTA KINABALU 9/10/2012: Residents from three villages are urging Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) to be proactive in tackling illegal electricity connection in their areas.
The illegal activities, allegedly carried out by foreigners who have set up settlements in the three villages, namely Kampung Suang Parai, Kampung Delima and Kampung Numbak, have created fear among local residents.
Such fear was felt by residents when a local man was electrocuted, apparently after he accidentally touched a live wire that was believed hidden in the drain, while mending a water pipe at Kampung Suang Parai on October 5.
A 49-year-old local resident, who declined to be identified, said although SESB had been making numerous operations to curb illegal electricity connections, the perpetrators would always come back and connect electric wires that have been confiscated.
SESB personnel pulling an electric wire that was buried in the ground to prevent detection at Kampung Suang Parai yesterday.
“Each time SESB personnel carry out operation and seize the electric wires in the morning, they (the perpetrators) will connect them back in the evening.
“This problem has been going on for the past couple of years since these foreigners set up homes in this village some 10 years ago,” said the resident from Kampung Numbak.
The resident also claimed that there might be a mastermind involved in the illegal connection as they were always aware and ahead of SESB each time an operation was about to take place.
“I hope SESB will work with other agencies such as the police and the Immigration Department to investigate foreigners who are staying in this village and making illegal power connection,” he said.
Meanwhile, a 60-year-old resident from Kampung Delima said she had reprimanded a few individuals from making illegal connection but they ignored and scolded her.
“When I told them not to do such a thing, as it is not only unethical but also dangerous, they claimed that they were not stealing from anyone but only from the government.
“What these people are doing is very dangerous and we fear for our safety and our children,” he said.