KUCHING July 15, 2011: If you are in the habit of moving around with the earphone of your handset stuck in your ears, an incident here yesterday will have you thinking twice about doing that.
It was about 5pm and a mosque cleaner at a teachers' training school at Jalan Batu Lintang was happily working away with the earphone of his handset plugged in his ears when lightning struck.
A source said in the split-second incident, the youth, 18, was flung to the floor, and friends who came to his rescue were shocked to see what used to be his handphone looking like a mere lump of metal. Apparently, it had instantly melted and then hardened.
A lecturer rushed the unconscious youth to the Sarawak General Hospital.
The source said there were clear burn marks on the youth's ears.
At press time, he was still in critical condition.